March 24, 2020

First day back to the Coronavirus enabled (ab-)normality in the University



From today, after a week of preparations, the University of Twente is officially back to the normal operational mode, with the difference that no physical activities are possible since all university buildings are closed and people are not even supposed to be on the street.

How was my first working day after a week of pause that was supposed to give us the time to adjust to our new online university reality? The day started with an online department meeting where almost every one of the department colleagues took enthusiastically part; we were all very glad to see each other again and share some of our experiences and stories.

The rest of the day was less pleasant, considering that the Coronavirus crisis, next to limiting our life and disrupting our daily routines, also forced the BMS Lab to close and hit badly the hospitality sector. What two events have to do with me? A lot I am afraid since both my classes in the 3rd quartile is directly related to the BMS Lab and the tourist sector! My Master students following the course, Advanced Topic in Digital Marketing is making use of the BMS Lab equipment for their practical project (testing the usability of Websites) and my students of the undergraduate course    Digital Marketing is partnering with real companies (and this year it happens to be mainly companies from the hospitality sector in Twente) for their group project: developing and executing a 3-week AdWords marketing campaign.

You can imagine that my colleagues and I are hastily looking for alternatives since the master students can’t use the lab equipment for their experiments and the hospitality business is closed so not really interested in online advertising since no customer or potential customer can make use of their service. Finding and implementing alternatives for student projects in the middle of the quartile, when only 4 weeks are left, is not an easy business, I can tell you. Today I spent most of the day answering emails of hospitality businesses who have questions about the value of the project for them, trying to persuade them to stay on board. Also, student groups email me the whole day with worries about their projects. With two classes totaling 27 project groups and 17 external partners, you can imagine the volume of communication involved. Next to this, the “normal” business must go on, only online which means a lot of planning for doing things like lectures, meetings, project proposals, etc. in untested waters. Anyway, having survived the first day I am afraid that tomorrow will not be better. I know that I am not the only one facing such a situation, so I wish to all in this position all the best and strength